Do you know me? I’m Hot Dish, and I write the self-titled 1000 Friends monthly e-newsletter. (Don’t read me? You’re missing out! Just click on News to read past issues or Get Involved to sign up for the monthly editions.)
Hot Dish is stepping off the stove and onto its soapbox for 1000 Friends of Minnesota’s Annual Appeal. This is it; the end of the year is near, and your support is needed now more than ever.
After presenting a slew of monthly updates of all things smart growth, Hot Dish can say with absolute confidence that there has never been a better time to work on this issue in Minnesota. Here’s why:
- The federal government gets it. Hot Dish knows the Feds aren’t perfect, but the Partnership for Sustainable Communities between HUD, EPA and DOT is producing real results and funding innovative projects (including in Minnesota).
- New leadership coming to St. Paul. A new governor means new leadership, ideas, and energy at every state agency. Some good things happened in the past eight years, but Hot Dish can’t say we’ve had a champion in the Governor’s office. It’s too early for predictions, but hope springs eternal.
- The awards don’t stop. In October a metro and a central Minnesota partnership each received highly competitive HUD grants for regional sustainable planning, and 1000 Friends will have a role. And the Living Cities consortium granted the Twin Cities nearly $16 million for equitable and sustainable development goals.
1000 Friends of Minnesota can only leverage these opportunities if people like you become members. Hot Dish wants to know: Can you help?
- A mountain to climb at the Legislature. The 2011 Minnesota Legislature will have 60 incoming freshmen, and all new committee leaders. We will need to reach out to all of them on how the state can best foster livable communities.
- Fresh ideas for the new administration. We took the plunge and wrote a “playbook” for how state government can align its investments for cost effectiveness and sustainable outcomes. Now we need to implement it. Download the playbook.
- “Growing Together.” We’re working with an award-winning filmmaker and TPT to screen The New Metropolis and discuss suburban racial change and regional cooperation. And we have more forums planned for 2011.
1000 Friends needs your support today to make a difference in 2011. Thanks for all you do to make Minnesota great. Make a gift by 12/31/10.